Need Assistance: +1 (778)-565-5399 or

Caregiver positions

Families can hire a foreign caregiver to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), families can hire foreign caregivers. However, the caregivers must:


  • – Provide care on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week)
  • – Work in the private household where the care is being provided
  • – Meet the requirements set Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

These families or private household employers will be able to hire foreign workers, on a live-in or live out basis, for 2 categories of in-home workers, which include:

  2. Caregivers for children
  3. – Children under 18 years of age
  4. – This category could include positions such as:
  5. – Child care provider, live-in caregiver, nanny (NOC 44100)
  1. Caregivers for people with high medical needs
  2. – Elderly persons, 65 years of age or over
  3. – People with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness

This category could include positions such as:

  • – Registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 31301) 
  • – Licensed practical nurse (NOC 32101)
  • – Attendant for persons with disabilities, home support worker, live-in caregiver, personal care attendant (NOC 44101)


Employers must meet the program requirements for the Streams for high-wage or Low-wage positions including paying the prevailing wage for the occupation in the location where the work will be performed, and conducting the necessary recruitment and advertisement requirements for the stream.