Need Assistance: +1 (778)-565-5399 or



Foreign businesses with a parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada have the option to bring key personnel to Canada through an Intra-Company Transfer. Companies do not need to complete the Canadian government’s labour market test to transfer employees to Canada.


ICT work permits for start-up companies:

Foreign businesses wishing to establish a Canadian enterprise may use the Intra-Company Transfer program to bring critical workers to the country for start-up operations. When applying for an ICT Start-Up visa, applicants must demonstrate their company’s ability to become established in Canada, which includes:

The ICT Start-Up program provides a one-year temporary work permit and may be renewed if the companies have maintained a qualifying relationship and have continued to actively do business. The new Canadian operations must also have been staffed.

Who can get an ICT work permit for Canada?


Companies may seek to get an Intra-company Transfer (ICT) work permit if:

Employees may apply to get an ICT work permit if they:


In addition, the occupation in Canada must fall under one of three following functions:


  • Executives and Senior Managers
    • Executive: An employee who primarily directs the management of the enterprise or a major component thereof.
    • Senior Manager: An employee who manages all or part of the enterprise and supervises/controls the work of other managers or professional employees.
  • Functional Manager: An employee who manages a function that is essential to achieving the company’s goals, but does not necessarily manage employees.
  • Specialized Knowledge: An employee who can demonstrate specialized knowledge, which in turn means knowledge at an advanced level of expertise and proprietary knowledge of the enterprise’s products, services, processes and procedures.

CONTACT Visalink for advice on Intra Company Transfer