Need Assistance: +1 (778)-565-5399 or

Sponsor your adopted child

Sponsor your adopted child

There are two processes that you must go through when you adopt a child from another country: the adoption process and the immigration process.

The immigration process has two parts:

Requirements to sponsor a child To sponsor a child from another country for adoption, you must:

You may not be eligible to sponsor in some cases, such as:

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements.

Not sure which process to use? Read about the differences between the citizenship and the immigration processes for adoption.


Requirements for intercountry adoption


Most intercountry adoptions will take place in the child’s home country. Each country has different laws and procedures covering adoption by foreigners. For instance, some countries allow adoptions outside the child’s home country, while others only permit adoption inside the country. Not all countries allow adoptions.

If you are adopting a child who is related to you, different rules from the provinces and territories and/or the country of origin may apply.

The immigration process allows two types of adoptions of children under 18. Depending on the law of the child’s home country, the intercountry adoption must either:

For Canadian immigration purposes, all intercountry adoptions must:

Children adopted outside Canada may be sponsored to come to Canada if:

Medical requirements

Adopted children must complete a medical exam before being issued a permanent resident visa. Your province or territory or a licensed adoption agency will tell you how and when it will take place. You must also sign a statement that you have obtained information regarding any medical conditions the child may have.


Intercountry adoption is complex. Other requirements may apply depending on the country from which you are adopting and your home province or territory. Your provincial or territorial government office will be able to tell you about adoption requirements.

Provinces and territories are responsible for adoptions in Canada. You should contact your provincial or territorial adoption authority to find out if you’re eligible to adopt and the requirements you’d have to meet. First, you should read the information in this section to know what to expect.


You can apply to sponsor your child once:

After that, you can apply for a permanent resident visa for your child to come to Canada.

If you’re adopting using the immigration process, you may apply for citizenship for the child after they

The adoption must be finalized before we can grant citizenship.


Sponsoring your adopted child


You may leave the name of the child blank on the sponsorship forms if you haven’t yet been matched with a child.

When you apply to sponsor a child for adoption, remember that you’re committing yourself to provide the necessary care and support for that child. You’re bound to this agreement for 10 years or until the child reaches the age of 25—whichever comes first.


If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.


Sponsoring more than one child


You must submit a separate application for each child you adopt. This applies even if the children are siblings.